Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Marshmallow Stamping!!

First of all, NO I AM NOT CRAZY. The title of this post sounds just as fun as it actually was...and it wasn't messy at ALL!! I am a firm believer to teach kids to be creative with everyday objects and things they could easily find in their house or in the garbage. My students had a BALL with this project and I loved their results!

First, we read the book "Leaf Man" by Lois Ehlert. I know that most of you reading this are from areas where leaves change with the seasons. Here in Florida we do not see "color" on the trees, so this is sort of a foreign concept to my kiddos. Reading "Leaf Man" allows students to see real, colorful leaves in all their glory. So, we talk about that.

Next, I taught my Kindergartners to make "Y" trees. If you are not familiar with this, it is SUPER easy to teach them how to make good looking trees without making "broccoli" trees (as I call them, the ones with the puffy green tops.) Start with a giant letter Y and make smaller Y's off the top. Voila, a good-looking tree that isn't cartoon-ish or broccoli-ish.

I then gave each table a plate of red, orange, and yellow tempera paint. I put 3 marshmallows on short skewers and had the kids go to town filling up their fall tree with "leaves". The way the marshmallows bounce off the page is just SO much fun!

I used the jumbo marshmallows. You do not have to do this, though. You could easily use mini marshmallows and use a toothpick instead of a skewer. This was just a matter of personal choice!

They really had SO MUCH FUN, and even though everyone did the exact same process, all the results were different, which is what I LOVE about Kindergarten art. It is just so honest and natural...

...and they are always THRILLED with their results! "I DID IT...LOOK HOW AWESOME THIS IS!!!" are exclamations I hear daily with my Kindergartners.

Have you stamped with marshmallows before? What did you make?! Please share...I will definitely be doing this project again!

9 comments:

  1. I love it! I have seen marshmallows used on Peacock lessons, but haven't used them myself. This would work great with the Kdg group I have this year. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, a peacock lesson sounds fun too! Thanks for sharing!!!

      Delete
  2. Great lesson! I love the idea of stamping with different items...never thought of a marshmallow! I have a new student( 2nd grade)that just moved here( NJ ) from Florida this summer. The other day I overheard one of the boys at her table say," What do you mean you've never seen snow?! Of course you have!" I went over and intervened since the the other kids thought she was kidding with them. I explained to them that she moved from Florida where it doesn't snow. She said Florida is hot and it only ever rains! She is VERY excited to see snow this winter! It started a whole conversation about how excited the kids who always see snow get when it snows so imagine how excited their new classmate will be seeing it for the first time ever! The trees are turning and they are glorious and gorgeous this year! Wish everyone could enjoy the sights and the smells of Fall like we get to here in the North! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's crazy!!! But just like many of your kiddos have probably never seen the ocean...we live a mile from it. SO, I suppose it is give and take :) Honestly, I'd rather have the ocean (no offense!) I've never experienced seasons, either, so I guess I don't know exactly what I'm missing!!!

      Delete
    2. Oh man, I take that back...I just re-read that you were from NJ and your kids have likely seen the ocean. You get my point though, right?! :)

      Delete
    3. I totally get it! :) I have a lot of kids that are from very low-income/poverty level families( not all but a lot ) and they probably have never been to the ocean, let alone out of town.

      Delete
    4. I love the ocean too but since I went on vacation to the Caribbean this summer and saw the glorious color of sapphire blue the ocean is there I no longer have a desire to go see the Jersey Shore( greenish-gray water).

      Delete
  3. We used marshmallows to paint snowmen on blue paper, and then added cut paper details for the eyes, hat, etc. We didn't use sticks or toothpicks; we just held the marshmallows in our hands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this. Might try tomorrow! Thanks

    ReplyDelete