Thursday, February 14, 2013

Paul Klee and Heart Day

Whoops! I thought I had published this post last week!!!
This time of year I really like to add in some sort of iconic "heart-ish" project...so this year I had planned on introducing my fifth graders to the art of Paul Klee.
Senecio, Paul Klee
Paul Klee had "invented" so many resist-styles in his art-making journey so I wanted to sort of emulate that in a project. This project is nothing AH-MAZING, but they're striking nontheless. I had them use black Sharpie and rulers to make 3-4 hearts, and then multiple intersecting horizontal, diagonal, and vertical lines on 12x18" paper.
They then used crayon (in color schemes-- violet, red, red-violet, pink, and white for the girls...and green, yellow-green, blue, turquoise, and white for the boys) to color in each shape that had been "created" by the intersecting lines. They were to color them in...but not color all the way to the black line, leaving a tiny bit of white paper showing.
They then used liquid watercolor paints as a resist and painted over their entire paper...fuschia for the girls, and turquoise for the boys. I'm so thrilled with the results!

Happy Valentine's Day!

9 comments:

  1. those turned out neat. what kind of Liquid watercolor do you use? I usually get really bright colors with Dick Blick liquid watercolors. i love all the heart art. i did a jim dine heart project with my students and it turned out really cool. Check it Out-
    Jim dine Heart Art

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Sax's brand liquid watercolors :) love them!!!

      Delete
  2. Cool, this looks like some other work I saw on Pinterest:

    http://afaithfulattempt.blogspot.ca/2012/01/paul-klee-inspired-heart-painting.html

    I followed her lesson in my class and the kids loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited to try this with my students today! I just wanted to mention that I think there is a typo in the directions. I think it should say 3-4 hearts and not 3-4 years. I only mention that because it took me looking at another site to figure out you meant hearts (said a bit sheepishly). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whoops! thanks for pointing that out. off to fix the typo now :)

      Delete
  4. Joanna the layout and the graphics on the site are looking so good! Did you re-do the site yourself? were you able to do all this in blogger? It is so easy to navigate now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! No, I didn't do it all myself...Casey from Sugar Studios on Etsy did my design graphics and layout for me. I am NOT very well versed in graphic stuff...thanks for the compliment, though :)

      Delete
  5. Carolyn McMillan: thanks for noticing and commenting that this is originally my lesson :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    Giaonhan247 chuyên dịch vụ vận chuyển hàng đi mỹ cũng như dịch vụ ship hàng mỹ từ dịch vụ nhận mua hộ hàng mỹ từ trang ebay vn cùng với dịch vụ mua hàng amazon về VN uy tín, giá rẻ.

    ReplyDelete