Saturday, September 22, 2012

Kindergarten Aliens!

For this project I used CENTERS in Kindergarten in the fourth week of school and it worked out WELL!!!! Our crop of Kindergartners are very bright this year so it was fun being able to paint with them already! (*I usually wait until about October until I work up the nerve to paint with them! Ha!)
We started out by reading the book "Aliens Love Underpants". Honestly, the kids couldn't stop laughing every time I said "undies, or knickers, or underpants"...easy bathroom humor. Love it. Anyways, I digress. The purpose of this project is to teach students about using multiple media in an artwork.
I have nine tables in my classroom, so I set up 3 sets of 3 centers:
1. 9x12 white paper and markers to create patterned paper to make the alien's knickers. (they just draw the first week, the second week they cut the paper.)

2. Table with 12x18 black paper and white oil pastels. They are making asterisk-type stars for their background of "outer space".
3. 9x12 white papers with some floppy foamy paintbrushes dipped in neon green and yellow tempera. Students used the paintbrushes to stamp some textured-looking paint onto their paper. (stamp on day 1, cut into alien shape on day 2)
*My classes are 55 minutes each, so reading the book, discussing what was happening at each center, demonstrating each center, and allowing for production time took up the entire class period!
The second week I had them flip their papers over to draw the basic template of the alien and knickers. They cut them out, being careful not to cut off antennae or arms! We used some scrap pieces for legs and feet!

As you an see, I didn't have them use any sort of templates...but they did a great job!!!

5 comments:

  1. I love love love this lesson! It's adorable. Plus, I'm always looking for ways to incorporate centers into my teaching. I'm definitely going to try this. Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely project - and it incorporates so many skills into the one piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - I have been doing centers since day 1 of this year, but that means only the last 3/4 weeks and I only see them every 4 days! But, i am feeling so conflicted if this is making teaching easier or harder. I am trying to honor their age/development by having built in movement, a variety of activities, and an opportunity to make sure each child can really do a good job. It helps with slower students, but I am also finding it's nearly impossible to make sure they all get equal time at centers. So I continue to think, think, think...not sure this is really an answer to building choice and all of the other things I was really hoping to gain using centers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to express my sincere thanks for sharing that amazing article. Your hard work in providing this valuable information hasn't gone unnoticed, and it's incredibly helpful for us and, I'm sure, for many others too. We really appreciate your commitment to delivering such informative content. Please keep up the great work and continue sharing articles of this high quality. Your contributions truly make a big difference, and we're grateful for the knowledge and insights you're sharing. Thank you once again for your thoughtful and informative posts! On the hunt for assignment aid? Your search terminates right here! We extend our management assignment help services within your reach, featuring a proficient squad of 2000+ assignment professionals. Rest assured, we're committed to shepherding you through your assignments. Queries? Contact us promptly.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Thank you for sharing this informative blog with us. Your blog is very useful for us. Are you an aspiring engineer aiming to make your mark in Australia? cdr writing services in Australia cater to engineering professionals who aspire to migrate and work in the country. The CDR is a crucial document required by Engineers Australia, the assessing authority for skilled migration applications in engineering fields. This report serves as a means for applicants to demonstrate their competencies and skills in accordance with the Australian engineering standards. The services offered by CDR writing providers in Australia are designed to assist engineers in crafting well-structured and compelling narratives that showcase their expertise, experience, and accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete